Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Game of Thrones - Characters I despise :P

My least favorite characters are:

Joffrey Baratheon - I have three words to describe the despicable Joffrey Baratheon, the so-called "boy king" - psychotic spoiled brat. I don't think I've ever hated a child in another novel as much as I hated thirteen (or is he fourteen?) year old Joffrey. He is a messed-up child. Even the circumstances of his birth are messed up (I won't spoil that part, that's for you guys to find out.) Pretending to like Sansa Stark even though he actually doesn't care a thing for her, he's just doing what his mother told him to do, and that was to be nice to Sansa (well, according to the HBO series, that is.) Not to mention he's a liar. Blaming Arya and Micah for what happened in the Riverlands? That made me so angry, especially when Micah and Lady, Sansa's direwolf, are killed because of his pretentious lies. Although, I was happy when in the HBO series, King Robert publicly humiliates Joffrey for letting Arya defeat him at swordfighting and throwing his sword into the river. I forgot if that happened in the book. But as many of you will agree, I hated Joffrey the most when he ordered Ned Stark's execution after he confessed his crimes and after he promised Sansa he would spare her father. I wanted to rip his head off when he showed Sansa her father's head on a spike, and when he told her that he had promised her a quick clean death for her father, not total mercy. As much as I don't like Sansa, I felt really bad for her then. I hope Joffrey dies a horrible death.

Cersei Lannister - Although I must admit that Cersei is a clever woman, she uses her cleverness to manipulate others, including her brother Jaime, with whom she cheats on her husband, King Robert Baratheon, with. How much worse can you get? As much as I don't like when a husband hits his wife, I think Cersei really deserved that slap from Robert (this was when Ned was recovering from Jaime's attack). She cares about her children, I'll give her that, but she has way too much ambition for her own good. She's going to end up in trouble one day. I admit, if I was in her place and had committed such a terrible crime, I'd try to shut up anybody who even showed the slightest hint at revealing it. However, I wouldn't go so far as to imprison him. That would be my last option. But with Ned, I suppose no negotiation would have been possible when it comes to right and wrong. I was so angry when Cersei cleared the way for Joffrey to be king when Robert died. As much as I'm sure I'll dislike Stannis, anybody is better than crazy Joffrey.

Jaime Lannister - I'm sure there's more to his side of the story, but killing a king you were sworn to protect? NOT COOL. The only reason I don't completely condemn him to my list of MOST hated characters is because he's protective of his brother Tyrion, and has some compassion for him, unlike his manipulative sister Cersei. I admire that he fights well, that he's the best, and I'm sure I'll do anything to protect my brother if my brother was being held captive by somebody, but attacking Ned out in the streets of King's Landing was a bit impulsive and just too much. Of course there will be consequences for that, as the Starks and Lannisters are not friendly towards each other in any way. I was happy when Jaime was captured by Robb Stark, but I'm afraid I don't expect Jaime to survive by the end of this series, for some reason. It's just an intuitive feeling, I guess.

Petyr Baelish (A.K.A. Littlefinger) - Yes, I was given spoilers for this particular character, but I never liked him from the beginning. His intentions weren't genuine. He seemed to be behind a lot of the bad stuff that happens to Ned and to other characters. I never truly believed he cared about Catelyn Stark deeply enough, because if he had, why would he hurt her by setting Ned up for his downfall? If I'd loved someone very much, I would want them to be happy no matter what. I'd care about their happiness more than my own. 

Varys (A.K.A. the Spider) - Like Littlefinger, Varys' intentions don't seem too genuine. He claims he's acting for the good of the realm, but it doesn't seem that way to me. He knows a lot of secrets, which can never be too good to have. He seems to be playing on the side of Daenerys and of King Robert's - how can you be on two sides at once? You have to pick one side or the other, right? Plus, it seems to me that he feels...underappreciated....that can't be good for the sake of other characters. 

Sansa Stark - At first, I kind of liked Sansa. There's nothing wrong with being really girly - I consider myself to be somewhat girly as well. But then she started acting like a spoiled, selfish little brat who complains whenever she doesn't get what she wants. In the HBO series specifically they made her out to be a brat. For example, when Septa Mordane was about to tell Sansa about her life or something like that, Sansa said "Oh wait. I've just realized - I don't care." I started to truly not like her when she lied to King Robert about what had happened between Joffrey, Micah and Arya by saying she didn't know. She could have saved an innocent boy's life! Well, I guess most likely Cersei would believe her son and have the butcher's boy (Micah) killed either way, but still. It disgusted me, the way she pined after Joffrey, who has such an unattractive personality. I saw through his attempts to woo Lady Sansa. I saw who he really was. Arya did, too, but NOOOO, Sansa just wanted to have "Joffrey's beautiful blonde babies" (according to the HBO series). She very much wanted to be queen, as I'm sure every girl in the Seven Kingdoms did, but I would rather not be queen than marry Joffrey. I very much admired Sansa, however, for having the courage to face Joffrey in front of the whole court and council and beg for her father's life. And I had hope when Joffrey said he'd grant him clemency if he confessed. My heart constricted when Joffrey smiled at Sansa reassuringly before ordering her father's beheading. I felt her pain. I hated Joffrey right along with her after the execution, and I was SO hoping that she'd succeed in pushing Joffrey to his death when he was showing her the heads. Weren't you? 

Catelyn Stark - For some reason, I never liked Catelyn. I didn't like her sister, Lysa, much either. I think the only reason I didn't like her was because of the way she treated Jon Snow. If my husband had cheated on me and had a kid with some other woman, I'd hate him and that woman, not the child. Yes, he'd be a painful reminder of what my husband had done, and I may resent the kid a little, but I wouldn't treat him as harshly as she did to Jon. I could see why Jon wanted to go to the Wall, because he didn't fit in with the Stark children, all because of Lady Catelyn. In the HBO series, she didn't allow Jon to sit with them at the banquet for the King at Winterfell because he was a bastard, and when he came in to say goodbye to the comatose Bran, she was really mean to him. Other than this, I'd say Catelyn was a pretty decent character. She was highly supportive of her son Robb when he went into battle with the Lannisters, which I applaud her for. 

Jorah Mormont - I liked Jorah's personality, how he was very protective of Daenerys and how he helped her against her brother, but I just hated him for betraying her to King Robert. It was obvious he had feelings for her, and I bet after he got his pardon he stopped sending reports, but his un-loyalty infuriated me. I was very happy when he saved her from that wine-seller who tried to sell her poisoned wine, I would have been very angry if Daenerys was killed off so soon into the series. 


Viserys Targaryen - What an awful brother, is all I have to say. It sickened me when he told Daenerys that he'd let Khal Drogo's whole khalasar have sex with her if that was what it took to get his kingdom back. I wanted to hit him. Who says such vulgar things to a woman, especially your younger sister? And then after she got married to Khal Drogo he'd insult her BECAUSE she was a horse lord's wife (or slut/whore, in his words). It was HIS IDEA to marry her to the khal! That was what he'd wanted! Of course any husband in that world would want his wife to have his children, so it's only natural that she got pregnant by the khal! And the way he threatened her in Vaes Dothrak...saying he'd cut out her baby and take her back, as if she was merely an object to be sold - I was so glad that Khal Drogo defended his wife and killed him! He deserved what he got. I shudder to think what would have happened if Viserys ever got his throne back. Plus, he wasn't a real dragon - Daenerys was, which made me so thrilled.  


Other characters I despised include Tywin Lannister, Lysa Arryn-Tully, Alliser Thorne (from the Night's Watch) and Mirri Maz Duur

No comments:

Post a Comment